Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tree Brewing Company Hop Head Double IPA

I am extremely eager to crack this bottle tonight. In the past year or so I have developed a love for hops, and extreme beers. I've guess I've noticed the DIPA's around, but for some reason hadn't picked one up. I've tried a couple of extreme hop beers by renowned craft breweries Dogfish Head and Rogue, which are amazing by the way. But I guess you could say I didn't really know what a Double IPA actually was. After browsing on wikipedia, I've learned that a DIPA is brewed the same way as a standard IPA but typically with 50% more malt and 100% more hops. They tend to have an alcohol content higher than 7% and for obvious reasons finish extremely bitter. I was given a good list of DIPA's to look out for but unfortunately my local beer store (who currently carries 681 different brews) didn't have a single one of them. They had a nice little selection of DIPA's and I decided this particular beer would be the one for tonight.


Tree Brewing Company hails from Kelowna BC and has been operating since 1994. The Hop Head DIPA is a limited Edition brew hopped to the max with five different hops all grown in Washington state. The wort is dry hopped and aged for three weeks, allowing the beer to ripen to a bitter perfection. It pours from the glass a foggy amber haze (unpasteurized, unfiltered) and settles with a good fingers worth of frothy white bubbles. As soon as I poured it from the bottle the aromas smacked me right in the face, waking up the senses and set my brain into battle mode. The rich fragrance is loaded with grapefruit and lemon notes, a vaporous fruit salad. It has a wondrous hoppy floral nose. There seems to be a lot going on and I've only just smelled it. I wonder if you can get drunk just from breathing it in?

The bitter hops wash over your tongue quite aggressively but the beer is balanced out well and the sweet malts rush in to save your mouth from puckering right off your face. You can taste the booze, but it's not disagreeable. I'll be feeling this one when we're done. Once the bitterness fades away it leaves a lemony aftertaste and you can still taste sweet roasted malts right up until you take your next drink. I like this Double IPA stuff. I think we'll be talking about them more as we go along.

From what I'm reading, Vancouver Craft Beer Week is a complete success. Almost every single food/beer event is sold out, and fast! It breaks my heart that Alberta doesn't have anything like this. Unfortunately it seems Albertans are quite happy with drinking fermented corn piss, or anything that comes along with an annoying in your face TV commercial. Big trucks and shitty beer. Good times.

Here's another spot CBC did for the Vancouver Craft Beer Week. Enjoy.
CBC News - Vancouver Craft Beer Week

3 comments:

  1. Next year you'll have to hop a cheap West Jet flight across the mountains to join us!

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for taking the time to stop by my little blog.

    Congrats on such a successful first year. I will definitely try to make it out next season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The double hop head is pretty good eh? To be frank, it's probably the best double IPA in BC. I prefer it to Phillips Amnesiac and the Spinnakers Blue Bridge, and pickings are somewhat slim after that...

    ReplyDelete