Thursday, June 24, 2010

Foot in Mouth Syndrome - Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

In my last post I talked about the Dogfish Head 60-Minute, 90-Minute, and 120-Minute IPA's.  The 60 Minute IPA is readily available and extremely delicious.  Unfortunately the 90 Minute and 120 Minute IPA's are not as accessible.  Their 120 Minute IPA is an occasional release, probably only making appearances in pubs and beer stores in close proximity to the brewery.

Despite being one of their regular year round brews, the 90 minute has been a tough one to find around these parts.  I've asked some local beer geeks and beer store employees about the availability of this product, and everyone seems to carry the same opinion "Probably not going to see it any time soon."  Bummer.  Well what do you know, barely 24 hours after I blog about the near zero chance of ever seeing this product in our fridges, I walk into the staff room at work, kick off my shoes, look down and see this:
Well, needless to say I had a good laugh.  And let me tell you, it's a good way to start the day knowing that you will be enjoying this legendary beer at the end of your shift.
The restaurant was crazy busy, and the kitchen was hot as hell.  My mouth started watering before I even hit the bar, and after watching probably an entire case of these bad boys leave the bar into eager patron hands, it was now my turn to drink. It poured a clear golden amber with a think frothy head.  The nose was incredible, rich with floral hops and citrusy notes.  It has a very strong, but pleasant hoppy bitterness to it, balanced with a ton of sweet malty goodness.  Texturally I found it surprisingly dramatic, rich and buttery.  Creamy like an oatmeal stout, smooth with lively bubbles.  A fantastic package all around.  At 9% ABV I was feeling warm around the edges after just one (those of you who have worked in kitchens know that cooks rarely eat while working, so more often than not you end up drinking with an empty stomach).  It's a potent brew, if not approached responsibly.  The drinkability makes it a dangerous, but delicious combination.  Lets hope it stays around for a while.

With that I think it's safe to remove my foot from my mouth.  Come down to The Sugarbowl and get it whiles it's hot.

Also, if you can make it, tonight is the Alley Kat Cask Ale night at The Sugarbowl.  The keg will be tapped at 5pm, so be there early.  Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment