Sunday, March 20, 2011

Hair of the Leprechaun Beer Festival

So last week I received an invite to the Edmonton Rotary Clubs first (annual?) Hair of the Leprechaun Beer Festival. A small beer driven fund raiser supporting the Rotary Club Urban Spirits "at risk" Youth Projects. Held at a small Italian community hall near the Commonwealth Stadium, a few hundred eager beer drinkers descended to try out some local and newer brews.
Only sporting maybe nine or ten booths, mostly featuring familiar Alberta Breweries, they still managed to pack the room. A couple of the reps were looking a little green around the gills from the previous nights St. Patty's Day shenanigans, but they were still smiling and having a good time, happy to be showing off their products to the crowd of glowing patrons.
I was happy to see our friend Leon, from Yellowhead Brewing Company, pouring samples of their lager from a mini kegging system. I spent some time chatting him up while he poured tons of samples. Many people heading to his booth because they were told "you have to try it out!" That makes me happy to see such positive feedback for these guys. Their pretty new on the scene, not quite a year old yet, and I would imagine getting such positive reviews would be a good indication that the boys at the brewery are doing something right.
My buddy Gordon was their slinging samples of his Wild Rose Brewery products. We featured these guys at the Sugarbowl not too long ago and received good feedback.  I had tasted most of their brews while at the Bowl, but I hadn't yet tried the SOB Classic English Ale. A sweeter amber colored ale, mild earthy hops with a smooth finish. Drinkable and satisfying. The year round beers they produce I find to be a little on the inconsistent side of things, they make fine products. But the seasonal offerings are mighty tasty. I was given bottles of the Cherry Porter and the Imperial IPA. Both amazing beers in a reasonable bomber package. The porter was a blast of flavor: coffee, chocolate, heavily caramelized malts as well as the cherry. The Imperial IPA a fruity hop explosion, rich and delicious with a smooth finish. Make sure you try a seasonal while available. Their new Altbier hitting shelves in Edmonton soon I hope.
Yukon Brewing was feeling good, Dave and Jeff getting lots of great feedback about the product. The Yukon Red being one of the favorites of course, a divine Red Ale taking the #1 Amber in Canada Award for the fourth year in a row. I also saw plenty samples of the Espresso Stout leaving the booth, both fantastic beers. 
DeLancey Direct Importers came packing a variety of products from numerous breweries including Paddock Wood, Cannery, Garrison Brewing Company and Raasted Bryghus to name a few.  The Raasted Vinter is one of my favorites right now so I had to have a shot of that just because its awesome. A dark yet refreshingly crisp Schwarzbier from Denmark. You have to try Raasted products! I also recommend the Grillol.....so good!! Garrison had the Imperial IPA available for sample which is fantastic. I'm becoming a huge fan of Garrison's products. We are currently featuring the Hop Yard Pale Ale at the Sugarbowl. All of the beer I have tried from this brewery out of Halifax is top notch. Some good beer making it's way out from the East Coast of Canada! I had a sample of Cannery's Squire Scotch Ale which I found a little on the sweet side for me, still enjoyable with a good peaty malt base, but not sure if I could really enjoy an entire bottle of the stuff.
Roughneck Brewing Company, from Calmar Alberta, was also present slinging samples of their IPA and Brown Ale. Both very drinkable down to earth brews. Nothing too fancy, just tasty regular people friendly products. I prefer the IPA to the Brown, no surprise there.
Some other breweries representing were Edmonton's Alley Kat Brewing Company and Amber Brewing Company, Granville Island Brewing Company (along with Creemore Springs) and Samuel Adams. There were a few more around but nothing I found notable. 
All in all a complete success I think for a first time festival. Thank you to Chris Cogswell of the Edmonton Rotary Club for the generous invite. Nice work fellas! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment