Friday, April 30, 2010

Alley Kat Amber - Craft Brewed Brown Ale


This afternoon I thought I would talk about a local beer, crafted by a small brewery in Edmonton called Alley Kat Brewing Company. Started in 1994, Alley Kat has grown from a small home brew operation to become Edmonton's oldest running, as well as Alberta's most successful microbrewery. This Amber is one of two original brews Alley Kat started off with.

It pours a deep amber color, with a fluffy foamy head that begins to retire fairly quickly. I get the feeling I've chosen the perfect beer for my early afternoon relax. Some old school Foo Fighters playing in the back ground and clear sunny spring afternoon, so far so good.

It smells sweet and lovely. A tinge of hops and a rich malt aroma, fruity caramel notes. It coats the mouth briefly, with a pleasantly sweet malt base. The caramel really comes through, staying on your tongue so you can enjoy the flavor until you take your next sip. Its has a very delicate bitterness, and a laid back effervescence that barely lets you know its there. Better seen than heard in this situation. I think having any more carbonation would distract from the round caramel sweet this ale lends.

I think this beer would be a suitable match for a home cooked meal like roast chicken, beef, or any BBQ. I'd say it's a decent brew, something I'd visit from time to time. I look forward to writing about it's brothers and sisters to taste what they have to offer. Alley Kat has a loyal following here in Edmonton, offers tours of the brewery twice a week, and is the monthly meeting place for the Edmonton Homebrewers Guild. If I'm planning to brew beer on my own, I think these guys are good people to get to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment