Thursday, April 29, 2010

Brooklyn East India Pale Ale


I love hops.

There is something about the floral aroma from a well hopped beer that makes my brain float. I've been on a mission to drink the hoppiest beer alive, and although this one isn't it...it's still pretty good.

The Brooklyn East India Pale Ale pours a light amber color, with a short and quickly retreating head. Fresh from the bottle is smells great with loads of floral hops, lots of orange-citrus tang, and peppery notes. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to stick around, and dissipates into a skunky mash. I figure this might have something to do with the fact that this particular bottle is on the cusp of that not so fresh feeling.

As soon as it hits your tongue you get the bitter bite, a lingering bitter too. Its medium body plays in your mouth briefly before fading in to the back of your throat. There is something else that reminds me of grass tea, or leafy bitter greens and sweet undertones that help balance out the overzealous use of hops.

I drink this particular beer fairly often at work, and I'm beginning to wonder how accurate it represents a traditional IPA. I could use some suggestions of more traditional style English IPA's to construct a better opinion of what it is I'm looking for.

Honestly the more I think about it the more I realize how little I know about beer and these flavors that are popping on my taste buds. It seems so overwhelming and I'm finding it a challenge (a good challenge) to taste what is going on in the brew and what it is that contributes to these subtle variations in flavor, color, scent and body. You might be thinking "Dude, chill out and just enjoy your beer!" But tasting beer and drinking beer I'm finding are two very different activities. I read everything I can about brewing and what each ingredient brings to the party, but until I start brewing my own beer and seeing first hand how everything falls into place I don't think I'll have a solid grasp of what it is I'm tasting. Soon enough I suppose. Until then I will continue to drink, taste and write.

1 comment:

  1. Nice one bray. My suggestions for hop heaven (based on likely availability up here):
    1. Moylans Hopsickle
    2. Southern Tier Unearthly IPA
    3. Central City Red Racer IPA (Canadian)
    4. Stone Ruination IPA (still some around, not much though)
    Any of those should deliver some solid pucker.

    ReplyDelete